Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Please, Super Tuesday, Don't Depress Me

The long and short of it is as follows:

If Romney comes out as a clear winner, then the others will stick it out until the bitter end, with Ron Paul angling for a VP spot (highly unlikely, as far as I can tell).

If Santorum comes out (har har) as a clear winner, then the same applies.

My preference would be to see a massive win for Romney. The fact that he is the most "electable" does not, to me, guarantee that he will be elected; rather, it means that he has the best shot of a group of candidates who will lose to Obama, absent some major disaster that unsettles his presidency during the next 8 months.

The reason I don't want to see Santorum win is simple: I would really like it if my fellow Americans united as a group to make a clear statement that such a candidate belongs on the fringes, that such a candidate should never be able to muster more than a single-digit level of support, that in fact we don't have over 1/3 of voters backing a guy who wants to march women's issues back decades.

Can you imagine Santorum the president meeting with European leaders? What must they think of him? Is that highly important to me? Well, maybe not highly important, but let us remember that the president is our representative to the world. I'd hate to think that international diplomacy would be defined as the conversations that occur between bouts of snickering.

No comments:

Post a Comment