Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Evening Thoughts

I watched some of my favorite movies again! Really nice to revisit some of my favorite characters: Jack Ryan & Marko Rameus in Red October; Matt & Christina Drayton in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner; various iterations of James Bond.

I read a few decent op-eds in the Washington Post & New York Times.

I am somewhat consoled as the Republicans continue to fracture, both in message and mission. I am still amazed that Boehner retains his Speakership, given the dismal performance of 2011, the popularity of Congress, and of course the evident continuation of last year's standing orders to avoid any semblance of working with Obama to achieve almost anything.

I am also consoled to hear that the economy continues to show positive signs in most domestic sectors, including housing starts, jobless claims, and consumer confidence. My main point of caution for 2012 is from abroad--it seems clear that in the same way that the ripple effects of the Great Recession struck Europe shortly after us, those same ripples will inevitably flow back in our direction.

Whether those ripples will be strong enough to flatten our positive trends, or, worse, push them negative, remains to be seen. Like many, I have high hopes that we will see enough resilience that, at least for the purposes of the 2012 elections, there will be little ammunition for Obama's eventual opponent to fire.

In general, I am optimistic. I believe that many on the Republican side, in spite of their passion, are coming to grips with the idea of just giving 2012 a pass, with an eye to the 2014 midterms, and some fresh face or other in 2016.

I also really hope that the Democratic presidential campaigns of 2016 will take serious note of the form and silliness of the current Republican ones. It would be tragic if the left allowed what should be a robust and lively debate of ideas to morph into the ideologically inane circus the Republicans have served up thus far. Such campaigns degrade the office of the President, divide voters, make us look foolish in the international community, and of course don't help to accomplish anything beneficial for the country.

In the 19th century, we had the Know-Nothings... In the 21st, we've seen the Do-Nothings.

Let us hope that this group, too, will be as short-lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment